Follow Us @soratemplates

Sunday 13 July 2014

Kinky Boots - Al Hirschfeld Theater on Broadway


Pictures taken outside the Al Hirschfeld Theater, theatre for Kinky Boots.




Ticket bought at 84 USD, already at a 40% off! 


This was my view inside. We were seated so far away! I can't imagine the cost for those who were seated nearer to the stage, and at full price. Boo, I feel the pinch. :X



Excited for the show to start!




These pictures below were taken during the finale when everyone in the audience stood up cheering and clapping wildly away, so it was my best opportunity to take out my phone and snap away.

I know photography during the show is a big no-no for theatre but hey, I don't take pictures for commercial reasons. I simply need to remember how the experience was like when I look back upon these pictures in future. It's been what, barely two months and I already sort of forgot how it was like!







The massive crowd streaming out of the theater.





Kinky Boots was good, but my friend August and I both agreed that it was a grade B musical. Stage set-up was okay, nothing really impressive.

Grade A would be the internationally renowned ones like Wicked, Lion King, Phantom Of the Opera, Les Miserable, etc. I'd label them grade A if the show deserved an honest, real standing ovation from the audience.

Nowadays, standing ovations are too loosely used, like people do it for the sake of doing it. Maybe it makes them feel better that if they gave a standing ovation, their money was more worth it? I don't know. But at a few shows I felt like I was standing up at a finale because one guy decided to stand and the fella behind follows, and it's just a wave effect. Kinky Boots was sadly the case.

Dancers were mediocre. Like seriously?!?!  I don't mean the main cast, I meant the background dancers for Lola. That was downright disappointing. I hate being so harsh and critical because that just makes me feel like a horrible person but honestly as a dancer myself, I've seen better. (No, I'm not better than them obviously, but like I said, I've seen better.)

No doubt they were very into character. Diva level was there, gymnastic moves done in high heels definitely was no easy feat.

You'd expect the best on Broadway, so my benchmark is set pretty high. And the dancers at Chicago met my expectations for sure!

But talk about dance and stage presence, I know of diva-dancers who can better back here in Singapore.

Check out http://www.youtube.com/user/MackeyCummings, Sg's local dance instructor at Danz People. Tell me if you think otherwise!

Main cast were fantastic. Nothing short of amazing!

Favourite of all has got to be Courtney Wolfson who played Nicola. Her role was small but her lovely voice left such a huge impact on me that I kept wishing she'd appear more. It was a pity she didn't sing more.
The roaring cheers for her at the finale proved that I wasn't the only one in love with her!


This is Courtney Wolfson, gorgeous right?!

Andy Kelso who played Charlie Price was naturally, a Disney prince charming in real life. I seriously think all people on Broadway are disney characters brought to life. They can goddamnit sing so well and look so absolutely gorgeous. Well there you are, you've met the two impossible to meet criteria for a Disney character.


I'd so fall head over heels for a man like him.

Haven Burton who played Lauren was just cute. She was adorable and everyone loved her. It was too bad her character was meant to be hilarious, so I don't think she got to put her vocals to good use. I bet she had more potential than what Lauren could give her!


Billy Porter (Lola) was AMAZINGGGG. Didn't focus too much on his dancing but that's okay, his vocals were like powerhouse. Whitney Houston sorta powerhouse. I loved all his solos they could have brought tears to my eyes! A very talented man indeed.




Esthee The Explorer's Verdict:
Worthy of catching if you're a theatre-lover like me. I'll assure you that you definitely will have a splendid time.

But if you're the sort that can only appreciate the big names, you probably won't like this very much.

I'll still recommend you to give it a shot. Everything's worth giving a chance, isn't it?

Afterall, Kinky Boots won 6 Tony Awards, including Best Musical!

No comments:

Post a Comment